Freshspire Suppliers

These local farmers are working hard to get fresh food to our tables. 

 

North Carolina

carolinamushroomfarm.jpg

Carolina Mushroom Farm

Shahane Taylor

Website | Facebook

Contact: (919) 593-2164

Location: Willow Spring, NC

Carolina Mushroom Farm, a veteran owned and operated farm, was founded in 2016 by Shahane Taylor. They strive to be a sustainable farm that provides fresh and local produce to the community. The farm specialize in the cultivation of Portabella, Baby Bella, Oyster and Shiitake mushrooms. They sell a variety of mushrooms at the State Farmers Market and other local markets and restaurants in the area.

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 2.21.05 PM.png

Infinity Hundred Farms

David McConnell

Website | Facebook

Contact: (502) 889-9151

Location: Raleigh, NC

Infinity Hundred Urban Farms is located on three separate sites near downtown Raleigh, NC for a total of 30 acres making it one of the largest urban farms in the United States. However, it is still a small farm that uses low tech methods to grow many types of crops without the use of pesticides or herbicides. David incorporates farm practices based on Permaculture and Biodynamics and will offer classes in sustainable farming and gardening in addition to custom furniture building and design using reclaimed and recycled materials. He grows sunchokes, sweet potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, squash, horseradish, beets, carrots, herbs, greens, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, potatoes, bay leaf, microgreens, chives, basil, cut flowers, and more!

interfaith.png
 

Inter-Faith Food Shuttle

Dave Koch

Website | Facebook

Contact: (919) 250-0043

Location: Raleigh, NC

The Food Shuttle Farm provides locally grown, chemical-free produce for those in need. 80% of the land under cultivation grows food for distribution at our School Pantries, Mobile Tastiness Machine, Mobile Markets, and Grocery Bags for Seniors, providing the freshest produce possible to those in need. The remaining 20% percent of the crop goes towards for-profit production to contribute to the farm's financial stability. They sell fresh fruits and vegetables.

agroecology-logo.jpg

NC State Agroecology Education Farm

Alison Reeves

Website | Facebook

Contact: amreeve2@ncsu.edu

Location: Raleigh, NC

In 2005, the Agroecology Education Farm started with a vision from Drs. Michelle Schroeder-Moreno, David Orr and Mike Linker to create a space near campus for students and community to learn about sustainable agriculture. Developing this at the Lake Wheeler Field Station near the Historic Yates Mill Park was important to demonstrate sustainable agriculture near a natural area. In 2013, they began producing for NC State University Dining. In 2015, they supported season extension so we can produce (and educate) even more. Our vision is far more than a “student farm”. Following their Land-grant mission, they want to provide hands-on education in sustainable agriculture and a place where students and the community can learn from each other.

oldmildburnie_color_600px2.png

Old Milburnie Farm

Daniel Dayton

Website | Facebook

Contact: (919) 609-9877

Location: Raleigh, NC

Old Milburnie Farm is a small diverse farm situated under 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh. The land is home to a beautiful lake, dense woods, and lush pastures. The picturesque location makes it ideal for growing and on-farm dinners. The farm’s first growing year was 2013. Daniel is a Raleigh native and an Warren Wilson College and NCSU alum. The farm is proud of its commitment to sustainability. The numerous enterprises on the farm are all mutually beneficial and help promote nutrient cycling, healthy soil, and regenerative agriculture. He sells a variety of vegetables, mushrooms, pork, and chicken.

sweetpeaurban.png

Sweet Peas Urban Garden

Tami Purdue

Website | Facebook

Contact: (919) 457-6012

Location: Hillsborough, NC

Sweet Peas Urban Garden was started by Tami Purdue on her very own residential property. The garden itself is now located less than two miles from downtown Raleigh. Tami believes that urban farming is fundamental to the creation of healthy and sustainable food production for our rapidly growing metropolitan society. The team grows over 50 varieties of microgreens and vegetable shoots. They also specialize in edible flowers, wheatgrass and shiitake mushrooms.

 
TWFCG_LogoLg.png

The Well Fed Community Garden

Morgan Malone

Website | Facebook

Contact: garden@irregardless.com

Location: Raleigh, NC

The Well Fed Garden is one example of urban agriculture – 20% of its bounty is donated to volunteers and neighbors and the remaining 80% is served in meals at The Irregardless Cafe or its Catering Division. Organic and permaculture farming practices are used to cultivate spring, summer and fall crops each year.  The ‘season extension’ tunnels grow hydroponic and leaf lettuce during the winter.  To increase yields of produce, cover crops, mulches, compost (from the Cafe’s kitchen vegetable discards) and mineral supplements are employed to build healthy soil. No chemical fertilizers nor pesticides are used, however organic pest control methods are practiced, like crop rotation, beneficial insects and micro-organisms and companion plantings. The grow delicious seasonal vegetables, fruits & berries, herbs, mushrooms and flowers all organically.